Friday, October 05, 2007

It’s Good To Talk

Gosh, doesn't time fly when you are having fun. So much seems to have happened since my ordination 4 weeks ago. This week sadly seems to have been dominated by funerals, a privilege to do, but please not too often. I was struck last week at how appreciative people were for a visit from the 'minister'. Both the churches I work in have good pastoral care schemes where people are regularly visited. Yet a visit from me seemed to be different. However, I'm not special, I have no special words, but people seem so pleased to see me in my role.

I talked to a friend about it who said that he thought it was about the minister in that moment, being the church. It was about people who had given so much to the church now in their time of need receiving back from the church. I think he may be right, whatever it is I find it humbling and at times overwhelming. Can I cope with the expectation, how can I do all this as well as making worship stimulating, plan for the future, attend all the meetings, make time for my family and create the time I'm told I need for my own spiritual development.

I guess I'm not looking for answers or for sympathy, just sharing my thoughts.

Thanks for listening, it's good to talk!

2 Comments:

At 11:00 pm, Blogger sally said...

I read this this morning and then left a long and profound comment. Which, predictably has got lost.

My first thought on your questions was , oh dear, you shoudl ahve covered this sort of stuff in the first year, too late to ask the questions now...but that is not funny...

Stu, you are what you are, God chose you because of who you are and what you can do and give, with all your limitations, sometimes you will get it right,and you will do ok, and you will remember why you went into this..other times you will feel inadequate, or the family will resenet the time your new job takes, or you will be still writing your sermon on a Sunday morning (!)

I don;t know why people expect more from you just cos you are a minister. But we do. I gave loads to my church, for almost 30 years, youth club leader, sunday school teacher, drama/dance/worship leader,music group..until life events forced me to give it all up.

people seemed more concerned about when I would start 'doing' again, ratehr than supporting me 'being'. When mum and dad died i got cards and flowers, but no-one came to visit me, and spend time with me. My minister never came, and I would expect him to represent God's lvoe for me. We represent God on this earth, and our hands, feet and lips do his work. Simply by turning up and caring is enough for people Stu, to show you care and bring God's care to them, even if it feels like you can't actually do anything.

I have stopped going to church, and no-one has ever come round to ask why. That's sad. At the moment I find God's lvoe elsewhere..in friends such as you...

Love you. Mr Revd man, take it one day at a time. God lvoes you. xxx

 
At 9:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weeks dominated by funerals? Don't think you get to avoid that - most of what I hear from my own curate (;-)) seems to be about dead people. But she claims to enjoy them - and if you think that's sick, wait for her to explain herself... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

STOP THE TRAFFIK