Friday, July 28, 2006

Running on Low


I guess that at the moment as an entire family we are running on empty. K seemed to sum it up this afternoon when she said “we just seem to have been living to survive tomorrow or when we get the next couple of days over”.

Today saw another funeral this time it was a lovely lady who had a massive impact on my early ministry. She was the first ‘official’ visit I did. I was going to teach her so much, 2 hours late I came away so much more humble and so much wiser.

Ira was a wonderful West Indian lady and her funeral was a celebration of her life. It had to be held at the Cathedral so that all mourners could fit in. It was followed by songs at the graveside and the men filling in the grave while the women decorated it with flowers. This West Indian tradition seems to help with the grief process but does leave you emotionally drained.

So as I am now close to empty I don’t think I’ll blog again until we come back from our holidays in Cornwall. We go on Monday and never has a holiday been needed so much. Hopefully when I do blog again I will return to my normal cheery self!

4 Comments:

At 11:20 pm, Blogger sally said...

Oh I so so so wish i was coming too! My only holiday is going to be Grreenbelt....I need something like a proper holiday!!!

You all enjoy it and have fun Thinking of you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 
At 4:08 pm, Blogger Caroline said...

loads of love and best wishes - hope the holiuday gives you and fmaily a real break! enjoy!

sally - where shall we go?

 
At 7:49 pm, Blogger Kathryn said...

Oh,- poor all of you. Have a wonderful holiday and come back really refreshed and restored. W Indian funerals are utterly wonderful in my experience (Brixton was full of them) but I do remember a point when the prospect of prolonging the parting by singing "Shall we gather at the river..." one more time seemed almost unbearable.
Where in Cornwall will you be? Luci and I are going to be somewhere nr the Lizard (lost address currently) for 2 nights Mon/Tues next week. After our Lake District near miss at Heaning Mislet last autumn, we'll probably be inches away again. But there's GB anyway.

 
At 10:50 pm, Blogger Stuart said...

Kathryn,

We are going to Hayle which is sort of near to Lizard. Goin with to other lots from Greenbelt really looking forward to it. I'll have to carry your profile pic with me just in case!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

STOP THE TRAFFIK