Saturday, February 24, 2007

Fading

Tonight was the last of three nights in a row gigging. It was also the smallest venue and the newest bands. I guess to be fair they had a hard act to follow from the previous two nights. Academy 3 is a compact venue but does have an advantage that the bar is inside the venue so you can queue and listen at the same time. Having forgotten my phone (Hence why I have pinched Liz's pics) the night did not start well, Liz managed to upset some poor impoverished student at the bar who had't quite figured out how to get served and the band hadn't even started yet.



We had been looking forward to Cherry Ghost, tipped as the next big thing. However, we were sadly dissapointed. They weren't really bad just, well really bland. The kind of thing you couldn't help feel that you had heard before but only better. Not unpleasent, not offensive and at £7 even worth the money but not about to set the musical world alight. We managed to laugh and joke our way through their set and it was good for the three of us to collectivley make the gig.



Polytechnic were much better, they had a bit off umph about them. The crowd seemed a bit more up for it as well. Good tunes and catchy lyrics and you did feel you were watching a band who could possibly be on the edge of something big. Like Liz, I too worry about the Keane tour, still I guess there is no such thing as bad publicity. However they do need to learn one lesson, remember not to act bigger than you are. They left the stage declaring 'that's all folks', rather expecting I think a large shout of encore. Sadly, by the time they came back on stage half the venue had already cleared, a lesson to be learnt I think.

By the time it had all finished the toll of the previous nights was beginning to tell. As we sat down to eat at the Punjab it was all I could do to stay awake. The past three nights had been great, good music, good company, good beer, good food all I needed now was a good sleep, go on Jude what's your secret how do you do it?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:06 pm, Blogger 1 i z said...

Can I point out that my only crime was knowing how to make eye contact at a busy bar. If the muppet hasn't worked out how to do that, or why it's not a good idea to stand at the corner where the bar staff can't really get to you, then I'm not sure it's my fault.

And when she kicked off I thought I was very gracious in letting her get served first. Especially given as you pointed out Stuart, if she was going to start playing that game, then actually you'd been there even longer than she had...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

STOP THE TRAFFIK