Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Day 2



Well day 2 and lots planned. Early start off to catch the bus to Manchester and a visit to Urbis. Urbis is a museum looking at urban life. Sitting listening to a review of the Manchester bomb and subsequent re building of Manchester left quite sad. The events of that day reminded me of my all too close involvement in the Warrington bombings. However, I did chuckle at the comment on the video that the IRA had done more for town planning in Manchester than many before them. It was also good to be reminded of the story of this post box.



It was seen on many news reports in the after math of the bombing still standing despite the best efforts of terrorist bombs. After the redevelopment it was placed back in its original location as a symbol of hope and defiance and that Mancunians can overcome adversity. I enjoyed Urbis perhaps more than R although she did enjoy the glass elevator that takes you up the 45 degree angle of the building.



So then off to Blackpool, I need to be honest I’m not a big fan of Blackpool. I put it down to going there as a child. My parents didn’t have a car so Blackpool usually involved long walk, cold and wet weather. Today did little to change my opinion on that score at least. However, to be fair overall I enjoyed the day, I still enjoy seeing the smile on the children’s faces as they marvel at the lights. So we arrived early and I parked up and bought my ticked from the machine (take note of this point). We had decided to take the dog so we battled getting her out of the car, watered and ready for her walk along the golden sands. Arrr bit of a problem it seems Blackpool is in the middle of a multi million pound revamp and access to the golden sands is restricted so we settled for squelching along the prom. To make matters worse when we finally arrived at the one place we could gain access to the beach we discovered that dogs were prohibited until the end of November.

Not wishing it to spoil the day K and my Mum took H and R on the pier whilst K and myself and the dog (who was once again prohibited) took refuge on a bench. Millie the dog cried for the entire time they were gone, she cried and barked at: horse drawn carriages, donkeys, other dogs, seagulls. They we were sat on a bench in Blackpool in the rain with the worlds most complaining dog things couldn’t get worse I thought, it was at this point the seagull scored the direct hit on my coat! K and I advanced along the prom and treated ourselves to a hot chocolate. Just then the rest of the group appeared with hot donuts yes its true another likeness I share with Homer. We started the walk back to the car ready for the drive back through the lights wish by such time would be switched on.



I know the illuminations have their critics but I always have and still do like them, they are different if nothing else and well the drive through and the stop for fish and chips at the end have become something of a ritual in our family.



So we stopped for our fish and chips and very nice they were to, I collected the rubbish from the car and put it in the bin. It was wandering back to the car again that I noticed the parking fine, apparently having paid you are then meant to display not leave the ticket in the pocket of your jeans, DOH! You know though despite its ups and downs (note the rollercoaster link) the trip to Blackpool was great bring it on next year!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:15 am, Blogger sally said...

Oh, Stu, you do know how to have a fun day out!!!! Never heard of pay and display dear? Works for me............love you!!!! S

 
At 1:39 pm, Blogger 1 i z said...

Wonderfully told tale. Worthy of our great Nearly Time correspondent. In fact I was starting to think you must be channeling the spirit of Sally, when I read: "I advanced along the prom and treated ourselves to a hot chocolate".

Do we need to perform an exocism at the weekend?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

STOP THE TRAFFIK