Sunday, July 24, 2005

Liturgy, Festivity and Monkey Business

It has been two years now since I first started my training for ministry within the URC. Three years since I first started the candidating procedure in earnest and every now and again I have rare glimpses that I am in fact training in the denomination that is right for me.

Today was the christening service where K and myself had been asked to be Godparents. The service was held in the parish church local to R an V. I already felt a sense of unease as neither R and V attend this church but in fact attend the URC in Altrincham. They had however decided to have little R christened here as this was 'the church the family always used'. The vicar was great his sermon challenging yet not condeming which sadly is so often the case when some clergy sense a congregation of none church goers. His relaxed informal style at times shone through, however this was all too often hidden by the ridgid liturgical style that the service followed.

Kathryn I apologise if this offends but how do you cope with this, I cringed as the congregation struggled to follow the order despite reasonably clear guidance and struggled equally with the sung responses we were expected to follow. Still I suppose it wouldn't do if we were all the same and I do acknowledge that lots of people enjoy this and feel a sense of tradition and continuity i just know its not for me, anyway here is a pic of the christening party.



After the service it was back to R and V's to join in the festivities and partake of the mountain of food that K had made. Wow it was fantastic and there was enough for three consecutive days of festivities. The last guests left at about 6.30 and we helped R and V to clear up. By 8.30 we had cleared the house and the last bottle of red wine so we sat down as R and V unwrapped the presents. We had bought them a Bible (predictable or what) and there were the usual array of clothes and silver trinkets.

R's brother had told R and V earlier in the day that he was pleased with the present he had bought as it was a little unusual. We couldn't wait to see what it was, V unwrapped it with anticipation. When we saw it we could not stop laughing, inside was the scariest monkey you have ever seen (see picture below for proof).



The laughter continued right up until the phone rang, it was R's brother, "have you opened my present" he asked. Quite frankly V at this point would have found it hard enough to answer anyway, but when K and myself started doing monkey impressions any kind of response was going to be impossible.

It was a great end to a great day, we were really honoured to be asked to be Godparents to little R and we just pray that she too may grow up to know laughter and happiness and God's presence in her life. Just remember though little R if you don't behave mummy will get the monkey!

6 Comments:

At 10:54 am, Blogger Kathryn said...

Let's have a blogging debate on this one, Stuart. I'll post something and link it asap...My experience is that liturgy works because it doesn't depend on the current spiritual or emotional state of those attending...Baptisms are always trickiest, I agree, but with a funeral I've only once done one where the service did not effect what it described...so that in the end those attending, even without a Christian perspective, were ready to be thankful , to commit the departed to God's love and to begin to journey forwards. Loads I could say...need to think first!! (that'll be a first, then...KF resisting the opportunity to open mouth before engaging brain)

 
At 2:24 pm, Blogger 1 i z said...

Stuart - your description of the monkey on the phone just didn't do it justice.

My chin is on the desk!!!

 
At 11:51 pm, Blogger Caroline said...

liz love, are you saying you want to start a mutant monkey collection?

start, I agree there's not many things worse than being in a C of E service where noone in the congregation has a clue what's happening...but I have to say, one thing that I did find worse was the quite bizarre and entirely subjective no liturgical personality fuelled dedication of a child in a house church, as I blogged about a while ago.

 
At 1:57 pm, Blogger 1 i z said...

Caroline

re your first point - NO!

re your second point - well you would say that and frankly it just demonstrates how young ladies are so susceptible to letting their emotions run away with them ;-)

 
At 7:57 pm, Blogger Caroline said...

oh liz, you know you want to....

 
At 9:19 am, Blogger Kathryn said...

Stuart...not sure where is the best place to post this, so think I'll put it both here and in the comments on my own blog. I'm worried, reading your comment on my blog,that you might have thought I was trying to come and you with all guns blazing...Truly NOT the case in any way, and I'm hugely sorry if it read that way.
If, of course,I'm just being neurotic, well, I'm sorry about that too ;-/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

STOP THE TRAFFIK