Thursday, December 30, 2004

Only Questions

I read Kathryn's comments published on Caroline's blog and I was moved by them. When we see disasters such as these appear on our TV screens and across our papers we are left asking HOW? WHY? GOD? But I too believe in the God who grieves more than us, who hurts more than we do and some how through this misery see's the hope of the future. I found this poem by Brian Louis Pearce:
Credo
I believe in the rushing wind, the tremendous driving
force,
the sudden shaft, the sudden shifting light, the
interposition
of the holy spirit in these human affairs, the
interpolation
of the tributaries, ponds and sources
the watery interfaces
water sheds and water forces
the sudden ripple of light
throwing diamonds across the water, turning
us to anther quarter;
taking us round with the ebullient stream in another
meander
into the presance of Godhead in these vessels of brittle
clay:
the presence lighting these figures, otherwise fast
disappearing
into a darkness deeper than any of their own making:
turning ahead of them, like the hidden water, and calling.
I believe in the wholly other, the presence behind the
mere clay of creation:
the holy and solitary Father, who created us,
by whom we are all met
in the terror and joy of this and every day,
in the middle of every instant
at the centre of every insight
at the first and the last light of this and every I.
I believe in the grace which is daily searching and
reaching us,
which has to be felt to be seen, accepted to be believed,
and which, denied or acknowledged, has always inhabited
us
from the first wrinkle across the ocean, as it ever shall be
in the day and the night-time, out beyond night, beyond
day:
in the beginning, so, now, without end,
the sudden shaft, the ripple of light, like a person beside
me,
nearer than hidden water
turning to speak to me:
the sudden shift, the sound of water
turning
In the end after all our talking, our suggesting, our believing, I think there are only questions, thank you God for all my questions and for being in all my searching.

1 Comments:

At 8:39 pm, Blogger Caroline said...

I'll second that Sally, tho i apologise for the delay - thank you for a wonderful post and for the poem. Thanks for putting the questions back into context...
Caroline

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

STOP THE TRAFFIK